You can’t make it up: last night we were watching the agonies of the 19-year-old black woman and the 69-year-old former actress, sharing their problems with their mother and their psychiatrists.
Afterwards we were discussing the gaps and connections between personal and societal pains. The remarkable play highlights psychiatry as a ‘labelling industry’.
This morning I get the email from the excellent site Humans are Free:
- Non-Conformity and Anti-Authoritarianism Now Considered an Illness: ‘Opposition Defiant Disorder’ leading to
- The Brave New World of “Mental Health Disorders”.
I don’t know what it takes to change
- from feeling ‘victim’ of our parents, to free non-wounded spirits;
- from being marginalised as women (12% in science in technology), as blacks, as anorexics, as mental health patients to creative entrepreneurs doing meaningful work;
- from following mainstream media ‘prescriptions’ to questioning and seeking meaning in life our own way;
- from having been victimised by white collar…
View original post 229 more words